Marc de Groot – Photographer Q&A
The summer-residing photographer is a household name here in Ibiza, especially for those in the music industry.
Marc de Groot is a confident, artistic and creative personality here on the island.
Along with his outstanding skills behind the camera, he’s also a dab-hand on the decks. Appearing on stage at clubs such as O Beach, for their popular Hot Bed parties.
We wanted the lowdown on his flourishing photography career, to give you a little insight into his exciting professional life on the white isle.
Here’s his Q&A!
Q: What career did you see for yourself growing up?
- A: I can’t actually remember, but it definitely wasn’t photography!
- Q: What made you choose this path?
- A: I kind of fell into it by chance. Back in 2005 I found a clubbing website called dontstayin.com and I started to take photos in the clubs, as well as DJ’ing. It grew very quickly from there.
- Q: What made you choose Ibiza as your summer home?
- A: I used to get booked to take photos at various parties by promoters in London. I started shooting in Ibiza in 2006. As every year went by, I would visit more frequently for work. It got to the point where I was spending more time in Ibiza than I was in the UK, so from 2012 I decided to base myself there every summer!
A CREATIVE GENIUS
- Q: What’s your favourite venue to work with on the island and why?
- A: Any outdoor party is better than inside a club in my personal opinion, but Benimussa is probably my favourite party venue for photography work.
- Q: What has been your biggest career achievement to date?
A: There’s two! The first was being on Britain’s Next Top Model as a photographer back in 2007, and the second was doing press shots for Carl Cox.
Q: Epic work fail?
A: Turning up to shoot at a club and forgetting to take spare batteries! I had to drive back home and get them mid-shoot. I won’t say which party it was, but thankfully no one noticed!
Q: What can we expect to see from you this summer in Ibiza?
A: Hopefully more of the same, club photos and videos, DJ press shots, weddings and music videos. It obviously all depends on how the season pans out with recent events.
Q: If you could give one piece of advice to budding photographers, what would it be?
A: Keep practicing all the time. Take photos wherever you go, and don’t have a business plan! Just enjoy the journey and see where it takes you!
We’re looking forward to seeing more work from Marc this coming summer, in the meantime you can see some more of his amazing shots via his Facebook page, Instagram or his website.
For more blogs like this one ‘Marc de Groot – Photographer Q&A’ – visit: