The summer-residing photographer is a household name here in Ibiza.
Marc de Groot is a bubbly, and well-loved character amongst the islands residents.
We wanted the lowdown on his creative photography career, to give you a little insight into his exciting professional life here in Ibiza.
Here’s his Q&A!
Q: What career did you see for yourself growing up?
- A: I can’t actually remember, but it definitely wasn’t photography!
- Q: What made you choose this path?
- A: I kind of fell into it by chance. Back in 2005 I found a clubbing website called dontstayin.com and I started to take photos in the clubs, as well as DJ’ing. It grew very quickly from there.
- Q: What made you choose Ibiza as your summer home?
- A: I used to get booked to take photos at various parties by promoters in London. I started shooting in Ibiza in 2006. As every year went by, I would visit more frequently for work. It got to the point where I was spending more time in Ibiza than I was in the UK, so from 2012 I decided to base myself there every summer!
- Q: What’s your favourite venue to work with on the island and why?
- A: Any outdoor party is better than inside a club in my personal opinion, but Benimussa is probably my favourite party venue for photography work.
- Q: What has been your biggest career achievement to date?
A: There’s two! The first was being on Britan’s Next Top Model as a photographer back in 2007, and the second was doing press shots for Carl Cox.
Q: Epic work fail?
A: Turning up to shoot at a club and forgetting to take spare batteries! I had to drive back home and get them mid-shoot. I won’t say which party it was, but thankfully no one noticed!
Q: What can we expect to see from you this summer in Ibiza?
A: Hopefully more of the same, club photos and videos, DJ press shots, weddings and music videos. It obviously all depends on how the season pans out with recent events.
Q: If you could give one piece of advice to budding photographers, what would it be?
A: Keep practicing all the time. Take photos wherever you go, and don’t have a business plan! Just enjoy the journey and see where it takes you!